Sensitive Skin Care Requires a Few Basic Rules
Sensitive skin care is governed by a few basic rules. However, even before
we delve into the rules, it's important to understand what a sensitive skin is.
Sensitive skin is one which is unable to tolerate any unfavourable conditions (environmental/other),
and which easily gets irritated on contact with foreign materials (including skin
care products). For this reason, some products are especially labelled as sensitive
skin products. The degree of sensitivity can however vary from person to person
(and depending on that, the sensitive skin care procedures vary too).
Generally, all skin types respond negatively to detergents and other chemical based
products. However, the damage starts generally beyond a defined threshold (or tolerance
level). This tolerance level is very low for sensitive skin types, leading to skin
getting damaged very easily and quickly.
Sensitive skin care products either avoid the potential irritants or keep
them at very low concentrations.
Tips for Sensitive Skin:
- Use sensitive skin products only. Also, check the instructions and notes on the
product to see if there are specific restrictions/warnings associated with the product).
- Even within the range of sensitive skin products, choose the one that has minimum
preservatives, colourings and other additives
- Do not use toners. Most of them are alcohol based and are not recommended for sensitive
- Wear protective gloves when doing laundry or other chemical based cleaning. If you
are allergic to rubber, you can wear cotton gloves below the rubber ones.
- Another important tip for skin care is to avoid excessive exposure to sun. Apply
sunscreen lotion before getting out in the sun.
- Avoiding exposure to dust and other pollutants is also important for skin care.
So, cover yourself adequately before going out.
- Use hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic moisturizer as a sensitive skin product
- Use soap-free and alcohol free cleansers. Cleanse your face whenever you return
from spending time out doors.
- Do not scrub or exfoliate too hard. It can cause reddishness and even inflammation.
- Do not leave the makeup on for too long. Use hypoallergenic makeup- removers.
Sensitive skin is very different from the normal skin care. Sensitive skin care
is more about being careful in terms of skin care products and protection against
environments atrocities on skin.